Sunday 24 June 2012

Last but not least of Cambodia

I have been a bit quiet on the blog front for a couple of weeks. Mainly because life chugs along and with this being a quiet time of year, there is not a lot to report.

The dredging of the river bank continues although somewhat haphazardly, the machinery is sitting there but not doing a lot! The water has been dammed up again and is running off into the irrigation channels around the back of Siem Reap. The river looks hideous and smells but it does look like the concrete works on the spillway are coming to an end.

Have to make up your own mind on this!
Don't think these trees will last too long once the river starts running!

Some locals just don't want to go!! Last remaining food stop!
The voting and the outcome are past history and nothing much is discussed locally now.

There have been a couple of bad accidents between motorbikes and either tour buses or trucks. Even the Cambodians are now starting to get concerned about the increase of traffic and the really bad driving. I discovered this week that anybody of any age can ride a motorbike under 110 cc, on the roads. It is scary seeing kids of 10 pr 12 whizzing around!

Always fresh!!!!! Don't think so, my lungs weren't feeling so fresh!

I have continued riding to school because it has been dry. We haven't had much rain over the last couple of weeks which is good for riding but the locals are looking for the rain. Not because of drought but the atmosphere is heavy and we have all been feeling a bit lethargic, our get up and go has got up and gone! A heavy fall yesterday but it didn't last too long.

Just a little bit of rain!
We had a public holiday last Monday, one of 18 for the year! Annette and I were going to have a ride but she has been very unwell with a virus so I found myself with a day on my own. I saddled up so to speak and headed towards the lake, around a 20 km round trip. Unfortunately I left too late and after 8 km headed back, I was so hot and felt myself sizzling and knowing I had to ride 8 km back I threw in the towel! The pool was calling me! The heat here can be vicious and we are still experiencing mid 30s

These pics show why it probably is a good idea to clean up the river

Sun dried fish anyone??
Sunbrella!!
Alan, Bridget and I decided that we needed a good night out as opposed to more Cambodian food and rice! We headed to the Victoria hotel for cocktails and were going to eat at the French restaurant there but as we were the only customers decided to give it a miss and headed to the Hotel de La Paix which is a bit of an institution here. Next month it will be handed over to the one of the big hotel chains which is a disappointment to the locals. We had a nice bottle of bubbly and a lovely meal. Sometimes you just have to remind your self what it is like to be a westerner!

Grace House runs along smoothly. A little bit tough for a while as I was the only volunteer for a week, another 2 have joined me and a couple more next week so things will get back to normal. Fiscally it means that no volunteers equates to reduced income for the project so that is not sustainable in the long run.

Friday was another hot day but at lunch time we headed off to the local Pagoda for a blessing by the head Monk, certainly one way to cool off as you will see by the pictures. This time I did my best not to giggle as the force of the water whiplashed my head. It was actually a calming experience just sitting there and concentrating on the chanting and the experience.

The Blessing
I would like to stay and waffle on a bit longer but the pool beckons and as I only have a couple of days left here I have to make the most of it! I work Monday and Tuesday, then leave Wednesday afternoon arriving in Melbourne Thursday morning. This evening I am taking the staff from Grace House out for dinner, lucky for me the meals are around $4 and a glass of beer 50c so I think I can afford it!

I will miss my night time view of the pool and my occasional night time swims watching the stars and dragonflys.
It will be frantic for the 3 weeks that I am back in Melbourne as the farm has been put on the market, I have decided that I can't manage that and do the traveling that I enjoy so much and something has to give. It is with sadness that I will see it go but that is the way it is.

So I will sign off for this trip, good luck for you, good dreams for me!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment