Thursday 17 October 2013

Siem Reap Week 6

Week 6

 

It was an early morning departure from Pakse and I was very pleased to leave the place. Wish I had spent more time in Luang Prubang and seen a little more of Vientiane.

A hour later at just after 9 we were flying over Siem Reap and from the air the city looked like one enormous rice field. There was so much water lying around.

There had been some rain in my absence but the waters flowing into Cambodia from the neighboring countries and the rains from the hills from the preceding week had taken their toll. The river was very high and the gates to the canals had been opened to alleviate the river running through town but the outlying villages bore the brunt of it and there was a lot of flooding.

Sunday for me was a domestic day and a day of preparation for the following school week.

The main holiday days were Monday and Tuesday so no students but the plan was for the staff and volunteers to go in and clean the classrooms. A message came through later in the day that the road was impassable, the village under water and the potholes in the road meant school was closed. The waters receded by Tuesday morning but it was a trial getting there as our usual little detour was also under water and unfortunately we had to peddle through the overflowing river. I couldn't wait to wash off my feet once we arrived at school.

 

 

It was a hot and very humid day but all of us set about cleaning. We were all exhausted by the end of the day, I didn't take enough fluids and ended up dehydrated and felt dreadful but the class was sparkling!

The remainder of the week was uneventful, we found an alternative route to school that is actually a more peaceful if not hotter ride as it is away from the river and the heavy traffic. Nice scenery watching the locals fishing, the cattle wandering around and the farmers going about their daily lives.

The flood waters had of course swollen the rivers and with that came a lot of fish. Everywhere you looked there were people fishing with their simple bamboo rods or the more adept casting in their nets to the fast flowing waters. Also a lot of repair work to the new paving that had recently been laid along the banks and much clearing of drains. Sadly there is still a lot of rubbish in the river and this has now collected on the bridges that have been out of commission or is lying along the river bank from where the water has receded. The locals don't seem perturbed about it.

 

 

A few weeks ago prior to the high river there had been a Sunday morning river bank cleanup organized by some of the expats, we didn't participate but apparently the turn out was good and the result great but probably not looking so good now!

Food this week has been uninspiring, I have eaten out on a couple of occasions but nothing to comment favorably about. The big night was Friday where a group of us visited the gorgeous Victoria Hotel for drinks and nibbles at the little buffet followed by more drinks at Miss Wongs our favorite cocktail bar. I believe Saturday was a very quiet day for all of us!

Even my home cooking has been uninspiring which is a reflection of how tired I have felt due to this virus and after a ride home and a swim I just want a quick bite and get into bed. It gets dark around 6.30 which makes for a very long night of very ordinary television. If I go to bed at 8 I am ready to get up at 3 and that it a touch too early, surprised I don't have bed sores!

The volunteer numbers are slowly increasing with 2 more repeat offenders arriving over the past week. My role is changing slightly with teaching the 13 to 15 year olds in the afternoon and assisting the Khmer teachers English class and in the mornings I am going to assist the new library assistant to get the books in order and bar code them plus some

marketing work for the weaving project. Variety is the spice of life it has been said.

 

I really must visit a few more of the restaurants and check out more food or I am going to have to change my blog name! I had intended doing a. Couple of cookery classes but time has flown and there is only one more weekend left before I depart on the 26th and we are planning a day out with the staff which hopefully happens. So much to do and so little time left!

Le suhn hi! ( see you later)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment